Backpacks + School Supplies for City Spring
Do you ever wonder, What could I possibly do to help make Baltimore a better place to live? Well, wonder no more. Here are 5 things you can do, today, to make a difference.
Making Baltimore City a better place to work, live and raise a family, begins with ensuring that every child gets a good education. And that requires more from us than merely providing schools and seeing to it that children get to class each day. In order for students to learn, they must actively participate in the classroom, and to do so, they must be equipped with some basic tools, and they must feel prepared to succeed. For the 775 students of City Springs Elementary/Middle School, that’s unlikely to happen without the community’s help.
As one of the poorest schools in Baltimore City, without a powerful Parent Teacher Organization or other neighborhood resource to equip students with backpacks and needed school supplies, Haven City Church took on the challenge. We are a new church, that is small but growing, and we have precious little time to gather and assemble the needed supplies in time for the start of school.
To date, we’ve acquired backpacks for every City Springs student, and now we need the school supplies that we’ll pack inside. And for that, we need your help. Here are 5 things you can do now, to contribute to the success of these valuable City Springs School students, and ultimately, to a more successful Baltimore City.
- Bring packaged and unopened school supplies, only from the list below, to our relief center at 1706 Eastern Avenue near Broadway in Fells Point. We’ll have someone there to receive contributions every day this week, between 9AM and 5PM. And please include your name and contact information so we can properly thank you.
- Visit the Amazon Wish List we’ve set up to make it easy to help equip City Springs Students. Please make your purchases as soon as possible to help us fill backpacks in time for the start of school.
- Visit Haven City Church’s website to make your tax-deductible contribution to the City Springs Backpack program online. 100% of contributions will go to purchase supplies.
- Send checks made out to City Springs Elementary/Middle School, c/o Haven City Church, with a notation that funds are for school supplies to equip City Springs School students. 100% of all contributions will used to purchase needed supplies. Please mail checks to Haven City Church, PO Box 38608 Baltimore, MD 21231, and mark “City Springs Supplies” on the envelope. Please make certain we know how to reach you, to send thanks and acknowledgement for tax filing purposes.
- Join the volunteers of Haven City Church at the Compassion Center located at 1706 Eastern Avenue, beginning Tuesday, August 21st at 10AM, through August 24th, to help sort supplies and pack backpacks. We’ll have good food and good folks to enjoy as we work.
Helping the students of City Springs Elementary/Middle School is a great investment in the future of these kids, their school, and our City. Thank you for stepping up and pitching in.